Friday, May 25, 2012

The Birthday Girl.

Hi Everyone,
Yesterday was Terri's Birthday (She is 29.........Again!). And I wanted to do something special for her. We normally take each other out for dinner on birthday's. But with a hectic life for all of us, I decided that I would make her a Birthday Dinner at home instead.
She is always feeding me and she records all the LA DODGER games for me on her DVR (I converted them to Dodgers fans a few years ago and we are all very happy with the season so far! The best record in Baseball!!!)
Anyway, I decided to roast a Beef Tenderloin for her. It took me hours to find a place in town that had any, and yes it was not cheep. But I figured that I would have spent as much, If not more taking her out.
So here is the menu:
Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Garlic, Thyme and Rosemary
Baked Potatoes
Turnip Greens with onion and bacon
A green salad
And at her request.....Lemon Marang for desert (From Scratch!)

I got a 4.9 lb Tenderloin and after removing the excess fat and trimming it down a little, I finally chopped the Garlic,Thyme and Rosemary, Added enough EVOO to make a paste and spread it over the roast. I cover it with plastic wrap and set it on the counter for 3 hours while I worked on the other stuff.
Do any of you know how much work there is in making a pot of Turnip Greens? HOLLY MOLLY!!!
After cleaning the greens chopping them and  the Turnips and onion and the bacon, I was ready for a NAP!
I cooked the bacon, then added the onion and Turnips. Cooked them for a few Min's and then added about 3/4 coups chicken stock to deg lase the pan. Then added the Greens and put the lid on. Let all that cook for 15 min and then it was all mixed together, placed on a back burner on low, to keep hot.

I placed the roast in a 400 degree oven for 35 min (internal temp 120) and then let it rest for 15 min. I have to say "That is the best slice of Beef I have ever had! Terri was surprised  and loved the meal. And I expect the leftover's to be just as good!
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment