Monday, July 2, 2012

Meet Little Girl

So here is the Story:

On June 21ST, I arrived at work to continue training and and saw this Little Girl outside the main doors of the building.

Just look at that face!


She was covered in TICKS and Fleas. Was nothing but skin and bones and very Hot and thrusty! I stopped and talked to her. When I came out for the first break of the day, She was gone.
I found that she had moved to the parking lot and was laying next to a car in the shade. I gave her some crackers and water from my lunch. And she finished that in no time!

When I came back out at lunch time, She had moved back to the front of the building into the flower beds. She had dug a hole in the mulch to find a cool place out of the Sun. I made up my mine right there that if she was still around when I got off work, She was going home with me!

I have had her now for over a week and She has had several baths and the Ticks and Fleas are gone. She has been eating Chicken and Rice and always has fresh water near by. She is putting on some weight and looks a lot better. She lives on my front porch for right now, until I can get her to the Vets and get her checked out

If that all goes well, She will be come a part of the homestead! I do not plan on trying to find the person that had her! She is a DEER HOUND and they did not care enough to find her and get her home. This happens a lot here in N.C. and VA! The Dogs are kept in a pen until Deer season opens and then they are turned loose in the woods to run Deer.
I see a lot of them that have been killed by cars and left in the woods to fend for them slefs. I hate that the Deer hunters are allowed to do this! Some of them have packs of 10 or 20 dogs. And they they are not carded for properly!

But this Little Girl is my way of helping just one of them! And if the Vet can not find any thing major wrong with her, She will become part of the family!
We call her "Little Girl" for now. But after the visit to the Vet, I will have to find a proper name for her. Any ideas?



Here are some others pictures of her:


Isn't she sweet?

She is gaining weight and getting better each day!

Keep your fingers crossed and there will be more pictures of her in the future!

Tom


15 comments:

  1. I think these pictures and the story deserve a huge and emotional "Awwwwwwwwww!!!"

    Bless your heart for taking her in. We have plenty of truly trailer trash here that keep hounds or other dogs then just let them loose when they can't / won't care for them anymore and they roam the woods & back roads. I hope there is a special place in hell for people who abuse their pets.

    Anyways, how about the name "Crackers"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn,
      Thanks for the kind words! And there is a BIG PLACE IN HELL for anybody who miss treats any animal! I do not hunt (not for years), But I do not think it is wrong to do so.
      But the way that most Deer Dogs are treated is a crime!
      TOM

      Delete
  2. She is skinny, and these pictures are after you've fed her well for a few days! She is a lucky girl to be found by someone with a heart. She is much better off now than with her previous people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TooleTwins,
      She is still underweight. But she gets 4 or 5 meals a day and is slowly coming back up to where she should be!
      Hopefully she will pass the Vets visit and can live out the rest of her days with me!
      TOM

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your new addition, somehow she just knew where to find a caring person. Over the years we had several beagles, a basset hound, and lastly a walker/blue tick, they are fun dogs but quite often have a mind of their own. So glad you are caring for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tombstone,
      How could I sleep at night, Knowing that she was still out there? I do not think she would have made it through the next day!
      And she is a welcome addition to the homestead.
      Tom

      Delete
  4. She is just lovely - and what a great story. She's a lucky girl. Looking forward to hearing more about her - and how your training is going. Any word yet on a true start date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      Little Girl said to tell you thank you!
      And I'm sorry I have not kept you informed about the training! Tomorrow is the last day and we get our badges and shift assignments! we have the 4TH off and go back Thursday to start OJT on first shift (Thursday, Friday and Monday), And then 1 OJT shift with second shift next Tuesday and 1 with 3RD shift on Wednesday.
      On 7/12 we go to our regular shift and will carry the title "Corrections Officer". WOOHOO!!!
      TOM

      Delete
  5. How lucky she is to have found you. Our current dog is a foundling as well. He was dumped off out in the country near my parents at that awkward stage of a big dog where he weighed 70 lbs but was still a puppy. He was obviously kennel trained so we think he was owned by someone who thought this cute little puppy was adorable until he grew into a great big dog. He showed up at my parent's farm skinny, hungry and covered in ticks- hence the name 'Tick", After hanging around for a few days my dad was threatening to shoot him before he joined a dog pack and started getting into the livestock. They have a terrible time there with packs of dogs that have been dumped by city dwellers running amok in the country. Since he was such a sweet dog we couldn't let Dad shoot him so he came home with us. Seven years later, he is still a big sweetie- a really big sweetie- all 125 lbs of him. I can't imagine him in an apartment in town but out here with us he has plenty of room.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      Isn't that the way it always turns out? The found Dog or one gotten at the shelter turns out to be the best Dog! Little Girl came into the house for the first time last night. And after looking around for a bit, She jumped up on the bed and went to sleep!
      Right now I have no AC, and the temps in the house are higher then outside. I have a service call in and hopefully it will be fixed today. I stay at Terri's house just so I get some sleep before going to training each day!
      But Little Girl always wants to come in the house anyway. She is laying on the bed right now, watching me. She is such a sweet thing!
      Tom

      Delete
  6. Awww...she is super sweet! I hope everything turns out well! It's a good sign she's gaining weight! My favorite dog growing up was a found Komondor Sheepdog who had escaped her yard. She was tattooed and when my mom got a hold of someone who worked at the owners home she said to never bring the dog back...the owner abused her horribly. So we kept her. She was the sweetest, kindest dog and also wound up being a great guard dog. I hope Little Girl works out...you could be wonderful blessings for each other1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bee Girl,
      She is doing well! And I'm working with her to allow her inside the house. She is not use to that, But I bring her in to feed her and she then spends time on my bed to get her out of the heat.
      After the Vets visit, She will have her own Dog House and fenced area to run in!
      She is donig better each Day!
      Tom

      Delete
  7. Spammed ya! Go pick up your "Award" :

    http://www.krazoacres.blogspot.com/2012/07/one-lovely-blog-and-rainstorm.html

    But really, your blog is neat. I know "lovely" doesn't sound very manly, but tough %$#@*
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely? Really?
      If you say so, But then again you like to pick on me anyway!
      I will post about the award and list the 7 things about myself and pick another 10 Blogs for the Award soon.
      Thanks!
      Tom

      Delete
  8. Little Girl is a Lucky Girl. I am glad that you have her now.

    ReplyDelete