Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pew!!!

For those of you that do not live in farm country or in an area where hogs and chickens are raised, I will tell you about the P.U. trucks.
The commercial farms here in north east North Carolina and south east Virginia where hogs and chickens are raised by the hundreds in confinement buildings where sanitation is very poor at best, the animals live in or close to there own body wastes. When they reach market size, they are loaded onto trucks for transport to locale processing plants. And if they are on the road ahead of you, you can smell them for miles!!
I was on my way home from work yesterday and I could smell pig and knew that a Pew truck was ahead of me.
Now I had two choices, 1. slow down and let the distance from the truck widen (in the hopes that the smell would slaken some), or 2. matain the speed limit (or a little above) and try to get around him further down the road. Well I had just gotten off work after 8 hours on the 3rd shift and a 1 1/2 hour drive home and I really wanted to get to bed. I choose # 2.
At 60 mph, it took me another 15 minuets to pull up behind him. At this point, my eyes were watering and trying to breath through my mouth did not help! And wouldn't you know it, traffic coming the other way was spaced just right so I could not pass him!(like they say "the best laid plains of mice and men!!!).
I was stuck behind him for 10 or 15 mins more before I got to the turn off that takes me into Ahoskie and home.
Even after I made the turn, the smell was still with me. And when I got home, I had to put my work cloths into the hamper and take the hamper to the utility room so it wasn't in my bedroom. Talk about RANK
In some states it is eligal to spread hog manure on crop fields unless it is mixed with other materials or watered down, and even then it must be turned under ASAP to control the smell.
At least it helped to keep me awake on the trip home. YUK and PEW!!!
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment