Saturday, December 11, 2010

New Desert

Hey,
I have several Farm Blogs that I follow and I try some of the recipes I find. Well I tried one last night and BOY was it great! I love food and have the worlds biggest sweet tooth, But I have to watch the sugar intake. So when I try a new recipe and it calls for sugar, I substitute  with SPLINDA. I find that it holds up to the cooking and there is no after taste. Also this recipe calls for a strange ingredient that I would never have though to use (diet MONT Dew!). I got the recipe from "Pioneer Woman" at her Blog site, If you have never been to her Blog, Hers was voted the "The Best Written Blog" for 2009 and she has been Blogging sense 2006. Lots of great photos and stories. She is a wife and mother of 4 living and working on a cattle ranch in OK. To say that this is my favorite Blog is an understatement! I had seen her Blog refereed to at other sites, but didn't visit her site until after I saw her on the "Food Channel" in an episode of "Throw down with Bobby Flay". He got his butt kicked again and I went to Ree's site that night! I have gone back to the first post and read everything from there. I've made it up to January 2009 and when I finish the "Confessions" section, I will really get into her "Cooking" section.
Anyway here is the recipe as is from her site.

Apple Dumplings

2 cooking apples
2 can crescent rolls
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups sugar (Again I used SPLINDA)
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla
1 12 oz can Mountain Dew (Not an ingredient I would normally bake with).

Pre-heat the oven to 350.

1. Butter a 9 X 11 baking pan.
2. Peel and core apples. Slice each apple into 8ths.
3. roll out crescent rolls and separate. Place one slice of the apple on dough and roll up as for rolls and place into prepared pan. You will end up with 16 rolls.
4. Melt butter and dump in the sugar and barely stir it in (leave it lumpy!) and the vanilla.
5. Pour this mixture around the rolls in the pan.
6. Pour the Mountain Dew around the edges and down the middle of the pan (not over the rolls) and sprinkle on the cinnamon.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, or until the tops of the rolls are golden brown, Let cool for about 10 minutes. Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream and a drizzle of the sauce from the pan! This is so good you will have to beat them off with a stick to get any for yourself!!!!
Mountain Dew, Who woulda thunk it? But it makes a great sauce.
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment