Thursday, January 12, 2012

New Livestock

I have been on the homestead for over four years now and the only Livestock I have been able to get going with are the Worms. They did not coast a lot and I was able to start with 1,000 of them (approx. 1 lbs). And to feed them does not require an out lay of funds at all!

But Tuesday I added Rabbits! The manager/Chief at work raises Rabbits and Quail for his own freezer and to also sell on "Crag's List", dressed, frozen and vacume sealed.
He was the guy that I was getting the Rabbit manure from to feed to the Worms and he offered to sell me three of them to use as my breeders to get my own Rabbit herd going.

So here they are:

This is "Alice"

A 2 1/2 year old California. She will be the main breeding female for a while. She has had 5 litters to date, for a total of 14 kits. She is pretty lay'ed back and is a Chow Hound! She had her last litter on 14 December.

This one I do not have a name for yet. She is a "Black Silver Fox". 7 months old and has had one litter so far, with 4 kits from that one.

And this is "Buck Henry". A 2 1/2 month old male, "Black Silver Fox". He is going to be the Daddy of the Herd when he gets a little older!

The three of them will give me a cross-breed meat Rabbit that will put me one step closer to producing some of my own food. I have always though that I wouldn't have an animal that did not contrubute to the whole idea of the Homestead. And they will not only provide meat, But also manure for the Worms and the garden.

The feeding and mainteance will be more involved then what I have had to do with the Worms. But its not that hard a thing to do. I have them housed in a metal shed for right now, But plan on building them a hoop house to live in the near future.
I have done a lot of research and found out that Rabbit meat is leaner then Chicken and they atain market size pretty fast. They should dress out at around 2 1/2 lbs and are going for $2.25 a lb on "Crag's List". So maybe I will make a little on them some day!
And My Blogging friend Susan over at e-i-e-i-omg sent me three books on Rabbits a while ago, that really help me make up my mind to get started with them. Thanks again Susan!!!!!!

So there's the Livestock up-date! Talk to you later.
Tom


6 comments:

  1. How cool! I've been wanting rabbits for a little while now, but haven't made the jump yet (nor the housing, cages, or "convinced" Paul yet either!) What made me want to try raising rabbits was that I had to blast a few of them last spring 'cause they were eating the trees so of course, can't waste the meat so I butchered and cooked them. I think it took me five minutes TOPS to get the rabbit skinned & cleaned out. The EASIEST animal I've EVER butchered. The wild ones were good eating, albeit a little tough, I can't wait to try some domestic ones!

    Hope your voyage into rabbit keeping goes well....and hope you keep posting about it 'cause I really would like to see how it "really" is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn,
      I have been planing this for a while. Reserching and reading all I can! I have even read up on how to tan the skins (using battery acid!?). processing is pretty easy and straight forward, the only problem I see is the "Cute" factor!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Tom! I know you've been waiting for quite a while for their arrival. They are some nice looking rabbits. I have nothing but awe for Carolyn Renee - if I'm dropped on a desert island, I want her by my side! I couldn't butcher rabbits. You are right. It's the "cute" factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      Yep, CUTE they are! I'm glad that other food does not have this factor (Cute Corn? Cute Tomato?)! Being a animal lover and wanting to eat that Cutey is a hurtle that's hard to get over!

      Delete
  3. Tom, congratulations! What an excellent addition to your homestead, for many reasons. I used to keep angora rabbits. They were for fiber, but I let them become pets. I think that's why we haven't seriously considered rabbits here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh,
      I did not know that there were so many types of Rabbits until I started reading up on them! And that does not include all the cross breeds! The three I got will be a cross and mainly for meat. My first venture into animals as food! wish me luck!

      Delete